This popular Middle Eastern dip is low carb and contains heart-healthy poly and mono-unsaturated fats.
- 2 eggplants (baked with peel removed)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 4-5 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed well
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds for garnish
- chopped parsley and olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick eggplant with a fork and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 60 minutes or until soft.
- Carefully remove eggplant skins, mash pulp with a fork.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and spices.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with pomegranate seeds, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
• Serve with crackers, pita bread, crudité (for low carb diets), or in sandwiches or wraps.
• For a chunkier texture mix ingredients as directed by hand. For a smoother texture transfer ingredients to a food processor and lightly pulse.
• Za’atar is a widely used Middle Eastern spice that can also be used as an optional garnish for this recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Nour Amri, MS, CNS, LDN
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE BELOW!