This popular Middle Eastern dip is low carb and contains heart healthy poly and mono-unsaturated fats.
- 2 eggplants (baked with peel removed)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil (or 1 garlic clove, crushed well)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- za’atar seasoning and olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick eggplant with a fork and placed on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 60 minute or until soft.
- Carefully remove eggplant skins, mash pulp with a fork.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, infused oil (or garlic), spices and parsley.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with remaining parsley, za’atar and olive oil.
• Serve with crackers, pita bread, crudité (for low carb diets), or in sandwiches or wraps.
• For a chunkier texture mix ingredients as directed by hand. For a smoother texture transfer ingredients to a food processor and lightly pulse.
Recipe courtesy of Vanessa Berenstein, MA, RD
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE BELOW!