Makes 4 cups.
1 tbsp. sugar, optional
4 cups of coconut water
¼ cup hydrated water kefir grains
1. Add the sugar to a half-gallon glass jar, if using.
2. Add the coconut water to the jar.
3. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the sugar.
4. Add the hydrated kefir grains to the sweetened coconut water.
5. Cover the jar with a plastic lid, cloth cover secured with a rubber band, or fermentation cap.
6. Let sit in a warm place (70-78°F) for 24-48 hours to ferment.
7. If the sugar is omitted, taste it after 24 hours. If using the sugar, allow for 48 hours. It should taste like tangy coconut water.
8. Strain out the kefir grains with a cheesecloth or non-metal strainer. The grains can be used to immediately start another batch of water or coconut water kefir.
9. Once the grains are removed, you may add flavors for a second fermentation or drink plain.
10. Store the finished product in the refrigerator and enjoy chilled!
This Wellness Mama recipe has been slightly modified by reducing the sugar content.
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE BELOW!