There is a long list of reasons why avocados should be a part of any healthy eating plan; these reasons include: dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K-1, folate, vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, monounsaturated fatty acids, and more! The nutrition you get from eating avocados factor in cardiovascular health, healthy aging, and even weight management. Read the research here: Hass Avocado Composition and Potential Health Effects.
The following recipe, a favorite of our Executive Director, John Doleman, has been adapted from Chris Schlesinger’s Grilled Avocado recipe.
For 4 avocados, multiply for larger crowds.
- 4 avocados
- 1 tsp. cumin (or use whole seeds, toasted in a skillet and then ground in a mortar)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground coriander (or whole seeds, ground in mortar)
- 1 tsp. chile powder (to kick it up a notch add a 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh lime (optional)
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pits but leave the skin on.
- Mix all of the spices in a bowl or in a mortar and pestle.
- Brush olive oil onto the flesh side of avocado and sprinkle on the spice mix.
- Grill flesh-down over medium heat for 4 minutes or until a good crust forms.
- Flip avocado to the skin side for one more minute.
- Remove and serve! (Optional: Serve with a fresh lime wedge and squeeze juice over the avocado right before eating to make it even tastier!)
Tip: This spice mix makes a great rub for grilled fish, too! Mix it with extra-virgin olive oil and grill your favorite meaty fish, like tuna or mahi-mahi.
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE CARD BELOW!