Herbs that help regulate the immune system are known as immune modulators. Rather than stimulating the immune system, they help maintain homeostasis.
In autoimmune conditions, these herbs can help calm and balance an overactive immune system. While it’s important to boost your immune system at the first sign of a cold, stimulating herbs like Echinacea can sometimes exacerbate an already sensitive system. Immune modulators help tone the immune system to prevent and fight illness.
This mix of immune modulating herbs may help prevent the common cold or flu in the winter by helping to regulate and strengthen the immune system. It can also be helpful for certain autoimmune conditions.
– Vanessa Berenstein, MA, RD
- 1 oz ashwagandha tincture*
- 1 oz astragalus tincture
- 1 oz shizandra berry tincture
- 1 oz black elderberry tincture
- Mix all tinctures in a glass jar, stirring thoroughly with a wooden spoon
- Store in glass tincture bottles
- Take ½-1 dropper daily mixed in water or your favorite beverage.
* If you don’t know how to make your own tinctures, you can purchase pre-made, single herb tinctures from many online vendors.
Recipe courtesy of Vanessa Berenstein, MA, RD
Caution: Please consult a medical practitioner before you begin consuming herbs, especially if you are taking any medications. Many herbs can interact with drugs or other herbs.
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE CARD BELOW!