The ketogenic diet relies on dietary fats as a fuel source rather than glucose, thereby requiring a higher intake of fats (though low amounts of carbohydrates are acceptable). However, not all fats are created equally. Focus on healthy fat sources including avocados, wild caught cold water fish, eggs (in moderation), walnuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, grass-fed ghee, coconut oil and olive oil. You can also eat non-starchy/low carb vegetables like cucumbers, leafy greens, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- 5 pasture raised eggs, hard boiled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise, sugar free and organic
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Mash the hard boiled eggs with the avocado and mayonnaise.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Serve or store in airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of Vanessa Berenstein, MA, RD
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME?
SAVE OR PRINT THE RECIPE BELOW!