Hormones, which are produced by the endocrine glands, are our body’s chemical messengers and regulate nearly every function in our body. A disruption in this carefully regulated system can be a contributing factor in chronic pain and illness. Hormonal imbalances affect both men and women and are most commonly seen in adults after they reach middle age.
Symptoms of hormonal imbalances
A hormonal imbalance can cause a wide variety of symptoms, many of which are common to other conditions. Often patients suffering from chronic pain, illness, or fatigue have been living with hormonal imbalances that have never been properly diagnosed.
Symptoms of a hormonal imbalance that are common to both men and women include:
- Weight gain/weight loss
- Muscle loss
- Low libido
- Sleep disturbances
In addition, men may experience impotence/erectile dysfunction, prostate issues, and hair loss, while vaginal dryness, sporadic periods, and hot flashes/night sweats due to menopause are symptoms commonly seen in women.
Questions? Give Us a Call!
Causes and treatment
Genetics (certain conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome or thyroid disease), diet, and environmental factors can all contribute to a hormonal imbalance. Our physicians use a Functional Medicine approach to determine what’s causing your imbalance to make sure that your body is releasing optimal amounts of hormones to support your energy, mood, sexual health, brain clarity, bones, focus, and energy.
Specialized diagnostic laboratory testing may be necessary to help us identify your specific condition.
- Adrenal Function Studies indicate whether the adrenal glands are properly producing hormones and accurately controlling your body’s potassium/sodium balance.
- Thyroid Function Tests evaluate whether your thyroid is properly converting iodine into hormones for the body.
- Pre-Diabetes Detection helps to identify individuals with a predisposition for diabetes before the disease becomes a threat.
- Bone Density Measurements* are an important determinant of fracture risk and osteoporosis in men and women (bone density can decrease as estrogen and progesterone levels drop.)
- Sex Hormone Measurements look at levels and how your liver is metabolizing into healthy or unhealthy metabolites and what you can do about it.
*When a Bone Density Test is prescribed, we provide our patients with trusted outside referrals.
Hormone Replacement Therapy
Both women and men can be relieved of the unpleasant symptoms of a hormonal imbalance with Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). In addition to traditional HRT, we offer natural hormone replacement, bioidentical hormones, and compounded hormones. To learn more about our HRT services, click here.
Additional treatment options to help manage symptoms include:
- Herbal Remedies & Nutritional Supplements
- Meditation Training
- Nutritional Counseling
- Prescription Medications
We are here for you, and we want to help.
Our goal is to return you to optimal health as soon as possible. To schedule an appointment please call: 703-532-4892 x2