Peripheral nerves carry messages between your brain and spinal cord and the rest of your body. Signs that one or more of the peripheral nerves in your body have been damaged and are not working properly include tingling, pain or numbness in one’s fingers, toes, arms, legs or feet; loss of sensation; loss of muscle control; or muscle weakness. Over time, damage to the peripheral nerves can lead to organ failure that causes digestive problems, heart disease, body-temperature dysregulation, bladder problems, and sexual dysfunction.
The most common cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes. Other causative factors include:
- Autoimmune disorders such as celiac disease, multiple sclerosis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic kidney disease or other systemic disease
- Low levels of vitamin B12 or other nutritional problems
- Poor blood flow to the legs
- Metabolic disease
- Long-term, heavy intake of alcohol
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Chronic pressure on a nerve or set of nerves that causes a stress injury (such as carpel tunnel syndrome)
At the Kaplan Center, our physicians have years of experience treating patients with peripheral neuropathy and other chronic conditions, and we completely reject the notion that “you just have to live with it.”
At your first visit, your Kaplan physician will take time exploring the onset of your condition, the specific nature of your symptoms and the overall status of your health. You’ll also be asked about the medications and therapies you’ve tried in the past, and what has and hasn’t worked for you. To gather additional information about your condition, specialized diagnostic laboratory testing may be necessary.
After reviewing all of the factors contributing to your condition, your physician will spend time talking with you about your diagnosis and working with you to create a customized and multi-dimensional treatment plan that addresses not only your immediate pain but also any possible underlying or co-existing conditions that may be causing or aggravating your symptoms.
We offer a multitude of effective treatment options, including:
- Osteopathic Manual Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Herbal Remedies & Nutritional Supplements
- Vitamin and Magnesium IVs
- Nutritional Counseling
- CranioSacral Therapy
- Prescription Medications
- Stess Management -Meditation Training
- Sleep Management & Evaluation
We are here for you, and we want to help.
Our goal is to return you to optimal health as soon as possible. To schedule an appointment please call: 703-532-4892