Peripheral neuropathy refers to the conditions or disorders that may result when the peripheral nerves in the body have been damaged.
Peripheral nerves carry messages between your brain and spinal cord and the rest of your body. Signs that one or more of the peripheral nerves in your body have been damaged and are not working properly include tingling, pain or numbness in one’s fingers, toes, arms, legs or feet; loss of sensation; loss of muscle control; or muscle weakness.
The most common cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes. Other causative factors include:
- Autoimmune disorders such as celiac disease, multiple sclerosis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic kidney disease or other systemic diseases
- Low levels of vitamin B12 or other nutritional problems
- Poor blood flow to the legs
- Metabolic disease
- Long-term, heavy intake of alcohol
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Chronic pressure on a nerve or set of nerves that causes a stress injury (such as carpal tunnel syndrome)
How We Can Help
At the Kaplan Center, our physicians have years of experience treating patients with peripheral neuropathy and other chronic conditions, and we completely reject the notion that “you just have to live with it.”
At your first visit, your Kaplan physician will take time exploring the onset of your condition, the specific nature of your symptoms and the overall status of your health. You’ll also be asked about the medications and therapies you’ve tried in the past, and what has and hasn’t worked for you. To gather additional information about your condition, specialized diagnostic laboratory testing may be necessary.
After reviewing all of the factors contributing to your condition, your physician will spend time talking with you about your diagnosis and working with you to create a customized and multi-dimensional treatment plan that addresses not only your immediate pain but also any possible underlying or co-existing conditions that may be causing or aggravating your symptoms.
We offer a multitude of effective treatment options, including:
- CranioSacral Therapy
- Frequency Specific Microcurrent
- Herbal Remedies & Nutritional Supplements
- Nutritional Counseling
- Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Prescription Medications
- Sleep Management & Evaluation
- Stress Management -Meditation Training
- Vitamin and Magnesium IVs
We are here for you, and we want to help.
Our goal is to return you to optimal health as soon as possible. To schedule an appointment please call: 703-532-4892 x2