Nutrition is key for a healthy thyroid. Here’s a list of foods to eat and foods to avoid when it comes to thyroid function.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Spinach in particular is high in zinc. Zinc deficiency has been link to hypothyroidism
- Healthy Fats: Brazil nuts contain selenium which helps regulate thyroid function
- Organ Meats: Liver is one of nature’s most concentrated sources of vitamin A
- Berries: Rich in antioxidants and polyphenols
- Anti-inflammatory Foods: Curcumin found in turmeric can be helpful in down-regulating autoimmune conditions like Hashimoto’s
- Fluoridated water: Fluoride has been proven to act as a trigger in inducing thyroid cell death
- Alcohol: Drinking inhibits the peripheral thyroid hormones, free T3 and T4
- Processed Foods: Processed foods may cause gut damage leading to decreased thyroid function
- Refined sugar: Hypothyroidism is associated with insulin resistance and diabetes
- Gluten-Containing Foods: If you have Hashimoto’s the first dietary recommendation is to remove gluten from your diet due to an immune reaction to gluten that triggers a thyroid autoimmune attack
For more information on thyroid disorders, click here.
Watch: A Functional Medicine Approach to Autoimmune Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis)
We are here for you, and we want to help.
Our goal is to return you to optimal health as soon as possible. To schedule an appointment please call: 703-532-4892 x2